[ale] Identifying SWAPpers

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Feb 24 14:12:07 EST 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 12:19 pm, John Wells wrote:
> Some time ago, someone asked how to view what processes were soaking up
> a machine's swap space.  I remember being very interested in this as
> well, but couldn't figure a way to do it.
>
> Today, I was reading the top man page for something else, and there it
> was.  Run top, hit "f" (minus the quotes) to open the "Fields" screen,
> then choose whatever letter corresponds to SWAP (on my machine it's
> "O").
>
> Now, you'll have SWAP displayed along with the other fields under the
> process' summary.

Cool.  I don't know how many years I've lived without the "f" key in top.
Thanks.

I alsways just looked at the difference b/w SIZE and RSS.  But this is even
better.

I guess I'd better read the man page for top and see what else I've been
missing.

Anyone want to do this and give a tipjar presentation next month at ALE
central?  I'd love to see that.

Michael