[ale] nfs & collisions

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Mon Feb 24 12:10:53 EST 2003

> I'm transferring all the mp3s
> (over 19Gb) from the mandrake box to the Mac and am noticing a lot of
> collisions on my network.  the transfer is estimated by the Mac to take 31
> hours or so.  is that right?  I am pretty sure I've got my hubs (4 of them)
> cascaded in the proper sequence (otherwise, the LAN wouldn't function,
> correct?).

I think I found your problem.

If you're trying to push ~20GB between two machines through four unswitched
(and I presume 10base-T) hubs, then, yeah, it's gonna collide like a SOB and
take 31 hours.  At the very least, get the two machines on the same hub, but,
better yet, put a 10/100 switch in place.  Just because the four cascaded hubs
works doesn't mean it works efficiently.  The latency is just going to be awful.

I routinely push large files and large quanitities of files around on my home
LAN, which has two 10/100 switches connected via a long crossover cable.  A
machine on one switch and a machine on another can manage 7-8MB/sec and I know
I'm taking a hit there on account of the latencies between the two switches.

- Jeff