[ale] More from Business Week

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Sat Feb 22 14:44:46 EST 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 06:59 pm, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> > > I'm not as hard core in my beliefs as Stallman, and I choose to view
> > > open source as an attitude, not a license.

Not wanting to start a debate or flame war, but I prefer the BSD license over
anything the FSF has issued in the way of a license. If the FSF was truly
interested in producing 100% free software, the GPL would let anybody do
anything they wanted to with the code. The way the GPL is put together,
you can't do anything you want to with the code (Therefore, the software is
not free). Ultimately, the FSF has the last word regarding GPL'ed code, not
the user of GPL'ed code. Because of this, everything I have ever given
away in the form of code, has had the BSD license attached: If I give it away,
I give it away without any restrictions of any kind or type: You can do
anything you want to with it and I don't care.

Best

Marvin