[ale] RE: ALE NW meeting last night

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Feb 21 15:51:13 EST 2003

One thing that I wanted to say about VMware is that what it really provides is
a virtualized BIOS and x86 machine into which one would install an operating
system, just as though one were performing an installation on an otherwise
blank machine.  If follows that you need to possess (and, in installing it on
VMware, *consume*) a license of WinWhatever.

Also, VMware runs on either Linux or Windows NT and up, and in either case, you
can install any number of OSses into it, meaning that you can have Lin on Lin
or Win on Win in addition to Win on Lin or Lin on Win.  IIRC, the BSDs and
perhaps OS/2 are also installable to VMware.

One way to look at it is as being the ultimate chroot.  IIRC, one way to
configure it is that you create files on your host machine that become the disk
drives of your virtual machine, meaning that everything operates within a nice
little bubble.  You can stop a VMware instance, copy off those files, restart
the VMware instance, and your copies become snapshots of the virtual machine's
state at the point you stopped the instance.

- Jeff