[ale] Interenet connection

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Feb 21 14:38:43 EST 2003

On Thursday 20 February 2003 4:49 pm, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Drew,
>
> It looks like you may have multiple problems all at once.
>
> 1. When you did the traceroute to computer1, did you call it "computer1"
> or did you put in it's IP address?
Both. No change.

> 2. If you put in it's name, computer1, does the machine you are doing
> this on have that name and IP address in its /etc/hosts file?
Yes.

> 3. If the hosts file does NOT have an entry for the machine named
> computer1, what is the DNS server that machine is using?
N/A

> 4. What does your /etc/resolv.conf have to use as a DNS server?
The content of resolv.conf is EXACTLY the same as two other boxes that connect
to the interenet. I removed a line starting with domain and tested again.

> 5. Does the gateway machine allow DNS traffic to pass to the inside
> network. In other words, does port 53 UDP pass? check it with :
> "/sbin/iptables -L -v | grep udp"
Two computers gave no output. The Suse box couldn't find it - which is usual.

> 6. Does the gateway machine allow traffic at all to pass? Check it with
> "cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" It should be a "1" not a "0".
N/A. My gateway is not a linux box. It allows all traffic to all boxes
including the troubled machine (the error is on the troubled machine).

> 7. If none of this works, turn of the bond0 device (ifconfig bond0 down)
> and retry the connection attempts.
Tried that. It still did not connect to the Internet, so I added:
route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.123.120 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0 (and
eth1) to mimic the files of the working boxes. Still no connection.

> On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 14:56, Geoffrey wrote:
> > It appears to me that:
> >
> > 1. Your gateway is not properly set up.
> > 2. You're not getting to your DNS, which would be caused by #1.
> >
> > My gateway machine is on an internal lan separated by a dmz.  My gateway
> > ip is 172.16.255.220. The gateway for that machine is 172.16.10.215.
> > That gateway is connected to my dsl line.  Here is the beginning of my
> > traceroute:
> >
> >   /usr/sbin/traceroute www.google.com
> > traceroute to www.google.com (216.239.39.101), 30 hops max, 40 byte
> > packets 1  b.home.edu (172.16.255.220)  3.905 ms   4.888 ms   5.859 ms 2
> > a.dmz.edu (172.16.10.215)  50.971 ms   60.442 ms   61.323 ms .
> > .
> >
> > So you see my machine goes to 172.16.255.220 which then goes to
> > 172.16.10.215 and so on.
> >
> > ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > > The same thing is always says (Pinky). It's "trying to take over the
> > > world."
> > >
> > > }$ /usr/sbin/traceroute www.google.com
> > > traceroute: unknown host www.google.com
> > > $ /usr/sbin/traceroute computer1
> > > traceroute to computer1 (192.168.123.xxx), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
> > >  1  change (192.168.123.xxx)  0.254 ms  0.209 ms  0.204 ms
> > >
> > > Drew

> > > out.

> > > IP

Drew Brown