[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Feb 20 16:27:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, rhiannen wrote:

> The "it worked fine yesterday" line is the most common line any support hears,
> usually followed much, much later by the discovery that new software was loaded,
> "but it loaded fine and everything worked, I just can't get to the web or my
> email Now."  On win machines, it is an Extremely common occurrence to have
> software load "improvements" which hose the fragile win networking stack.

I'm not a Windows apologist by any means, but I feel I should point out
that Windows (among others, many others) pretty much utilizes a clone of
the BSD TCP stack that I'm sure Bob had some involvement in. This
is not an Internet myth (urban legend) according to my sources. The
Windows, specifically the NT based kernels, TCP stack is anything but
fragile. It's pretty tough to break the TCP/IP implementation with a
simple software install. All things are possible, when an installer
package is not put together properly...or gets "out of it's sandbox".
However, the same applies to 75% of the *nix stuff on freshmeat, as many
newer Linux users will simply install everything as root without testing
it first. Linux on the desktop is being touted everywhere, and make no
mistake, it is coming. Fasten your seatbelts folks, 'cause all those
"winders" users are on their way to "sudo land" and it's gonna be a bumpy
ride. I suggest you get Slack now and save yourself the trouble of
switching later when RH, SuSE, and company complete their dumbing down of
Linux for Joe Sixpack. Call me elitist if you want, but I spent the better
part of the day using Mac OS X and I feel that even it's too "dumbed down"
to suit my taste...although it is pretty sweet.

I am a Linux enthusiast. I like text config files and shell scripts. I
made a 2 foot stack of floppies last night and installed Slackware the old
fashioned way...because I like it. I read my mail with Pine and feel
guilty for not using mailx. I think vi is the greatest. Text www browsers
rock, and I don't need no stinking passport. I fully understand that not
everyone shares my feelings, but I refuse to change. I am a Slackware
user, and you can see my strength.

Laugh now.

--
Jonathan Rickman