[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 20 14:15:06 EST 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 07:28:38PM -0500, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:49:35AM -0500, Jason Day wrote:
>
> > Do you have a business account?  Or do you know the right people? ;-)
>
> > Comcast/AT&T's TOS specifically prohibits using linux.  They also
>
> 	That is just flat out false.

You may be right about this.  I'm pretty sure that at one time they
stipulated this in the agreement, but I can't find it now.
Nevertheless...
[trim]
> > prohibit running a server, such as ssh, telnet, ftp, or http.  They also
> > block port 80 inbound, so if you want to be a rebel and run a web
>
> 	Also false.  At least on this segment.  Maybe true on others.

http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=416&category_id=34

"AT&T Broadband does not allow servers to be connected to the cable
modem. This means that no computer in a personal network can be used as
a server that provides network content or any other services to anyone
outside of the your home LAN (Local Area Network)."
---
http://help.broadband.att.com/faq.jsp?content_id=1107&category_id=34

"Prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, using the AT&T
Broadband Equipment (as defined in the Subscriber Agreement) or the
Service to
"(xiv) run programs, equipment or servers from the Premises which
provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of the
your home LAN (Local Area Network). Examples of prohibited programs and
equipment include, but are not limited to, mail, ftp, http, file
sharing, game, newsgroup, proxy, IRC servers, multi-user interactive
forums and Wi-Fi devices;"

> 	They do block 139 (but not 445, unfortunately) but those are
> defensive just to keep a hammer on the worms.
>
> > server, you have to do it on a non-standard port.
>
> 	Some segments have reported this, yes.  I have, as yet, not
> experienced it and I've had no problems with other low ports or any
> VPNs.  I've successfully run CIPE, OpenVPN, SSH, stunnel, IPSec and
> IPv6 SIT without trouble.

I just checked, and 80 is no longer blocked.  This is a recent change.
When Code Red hit AT&T blocked port 80 to limit the damage, and it
stayed blocked until, at most, 6 months ago.  Maybe they didn't block
port 80 on all segments, and you were one of the lucky ones.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9