[ale] boot parms ide=???

Cory T. Echols ctechols at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 19 08:18:42 EST 2003

Just a note: I could be completely misunderstanding what your asking
for.

On 02/18, Geoffrey wrote:
> I've been trying to research the various boot parameters available.
> Particularily regarding ide parms.  I find references to a doc
> README.ide in the kernel source, but I've got two sets of source,
> neither has the file.  I finally tracked one down, but no reference to
> the ide parms I'm looking for.

I have /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ide.txt.  Looking at its contents,
it is probably what you want.

> In particular, I had a box that had an ata66 controller and passing
> ide=66 was recognized.
>
> Following that process I have another box with an ata100 controller, but
> when attempting ide=100, I receive an error that this is invalid.  Valid
> values are 20-66.

If you are referring to the "idebus" parameter, (I couldn't find a
plain "ide" parameter), then it does not refer to the controller speed.
This is from the document I mentioned:

"idebus=xx"            : inform IDE driver of VESA/PCI bus speed in MHz,
                                where "xx" is between 20 and 66 inclusive,
                                used when tuning chipset PIO modes.
                                For PCI bus, 25 is correct for a P75 system,
                                30 is correct for P90,P120,P180 systems,
                                and 33 is used for P100,P133,P166 systems.
                                If in doubt, use idebus=33 for PCI.
                                As for VLB, it is safest to not specify it.
                                Bigger values are safer than smaller ones.

I've read several post on newsgroups that strongly suggest leaving this
alone.

Not exactly authoritative, but I hope it's helpful.

--
Cory T. Echols          | "You don't make the poor richer by making the rich
ctechols at mindspring.com | poorer."