[ale] OT: Woah, retro!

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 18 23:25:50 EST 2003

"James P. Kinney III" <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> writes:

> I could probably put my hands on a PDP-10 if I really wanted to play
> with antiques.
>
> In the event of planet-wide disaster (asteroid impact) does the
> knowledge still exist to recreate the computer revolution or would it
> really be back to the dark ages? Could we actually hand code a
> rudimentary compiler than feed it the parts to build a better one until
> we recover back to this point (minus M$, of course :)

An absolutely minimal Forth interpreter, in 8086 machine code, is
under ten instructions long. Forth is just barely high-level enough to
do useful work in, IMO, but it'd be a great bootstrap language. (I've
never managed to do any useful work in Forth, but I can appreciate the
possibility.) But I think we'd be OK software-wise. I'd be worried if
there were no working hardware, though. I'm not quite sure about the
exact effects of EMP - it screws up magnetic domains, right?  Which
probably means that boot ROMs, for example, would be history, and we'd
have to get things rolling from the bare metal. But would EMP hose
stuff other than persistent memory?  Would the CPUs be OK? Or would we
end up looking for the long-lost plans for Babbage's Analytical
Engine?

-- Joe

> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 22:10, Geoffrey wrote:
> > Okay, do I need to dig out my 3b2 300?
> >
> > Jonathan Glass (IBB) wrote:
> > > My parents just retrieved their furniture from long-term storage.  In it
> > > they found my Tandy 1000SX!  2 5.25" floppy drives and 640K of RAM!!
> > > Granted, it isn't as cool your stuff...but I wonder if I can get Linux
> > > to run on that old 8088?
> > >
> > > :)
> > >
> > > Jonathan

> James P. Kinney III          \Changing the mobile computing world/
> CEO & Director of Engineering \          one Linux user         /
> Local Net Solutions,LLC        \           at a time.          /
> http://www.localnetsolutions.com
>
> GPG ID: 829C6CA7 James P. Kinney III (M.S. Physics) <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com>

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me