[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Feb 18 15:18:41 EST 2003

John Wells wrote:

> Just got off the phone with Moshe.  He said that basically, the internal
> hardware available with the $49/month plan isn't supported very well under
> Linux, and only a few people have been able to get it working and had
> problems keeping it going.  He said you have to use some very specific
> kernel versions to get it going and use a lot of spit and rubber bands.
> He *highly* recommended going with the static ip/external hardware option.

Fair enough.  For those who might be interested, the hardware the
provide is a GreatSpeed pci dsl modem, model gs-p200x.

> Of course, I've used my share of spit and rubber bands in the past, but I
> think for now the safest option is to stay with BS.  It works, I'm not
> charged any extra (yet) based on high bandwidth, and I don't have to
> purchase any additional hardware.  Keep me posted if SF has any rebate
> deals on the hw in the future.

I'm not so much interested in convincing you to change as suggesting to
folks who are considering dsl to look at the other possibilities.  I
personally wouldn't want to change either, what a hassle.

I figured some of these dsl providers would eventually come up with a
'free hardware if you switch' deal, but I've not heard of any yet.  I
guess they cost isn't justifiable.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...