[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Feb 18 13:03:51 EST 2003

Geoffrey said:
> John Wells wrote:
>> It was an FYI, not an IMO.  I use it because it works, and I don't
>> want to pay $150 plus and extra $15 a month to speedfactory to get the
>> same level of service.
>
> I hadn't checked speedfactory prices lately, so I gave them a call,
> here's what they quoted me:
>
> $49/month free internal dsl modem, single computer.
> $59/month static ip, multiple computers, external modem ($149.95)

The $49/month offer has common ports blocked, so no servers.  You have to
upgrade to the $59 per month (when I check it was $65, but I guess they've
dropped).  In order to use the $59/month, you have to buy their bridge
equipment, which will cost you $150.

> Bellsouth is running a deal 19.95 for the first 3 months, $45/month
> after that.  They also require an extra $10 a month for multiple
> computers.

Sure, if you opt for their home networking package (which is a rip-off,
imo) that involves using HomePNA over your phone lines.  If you don't want
that, there's nothing to stop you from running your own router/firewall,
as I do, and distributing that via your own medium to other machines.  I
have approx. 4 full-time 24/7 machines served via my $45/month dsl
connection using a switch and a linux-based 120mhz/16mb ram fw/r..

> They give you a free modem (after rebate) for the single computer
> solution and it is refurbished. If you go with the multiple computer
> solution, they also will charge you $149.95 for the hardware.  So, there
>  deal doesn't seem that much better then speedfactory.

If you know enough to setup your own network, then there's no way you
should opt for the multiple computer solution as you can setup whatever
works for you (cat-5 ethernet, etc.).  It adds nothing to your service
plan...just the ability to call in and get support for their portal system
(if you have HomePNA hardware, you should be able to use it without paying
the extra $10 bucks).   I've setup a few of those for colleagues, and BS
uses a 2-wire (2wire.com) portal solution that really kinda sux.  You
don't have control over what ports you can open up...that kinda stuff
irritates me to know end.

> Not having to deal with Bellsouth and pppoe is worth the extra $5 a
> month to me.

If it weren't for the hardware requirement, I would go ahead and pay the
extra $15.  As it is, I can't really justify an extra $150 to fix
something that isn't broken.

If SpeedFactory had some rebate system for their hardware, things might be
different.  I'm not particularly in love with BellSouth, but their up-time
has been fairly reliable, and I've had no real problems to speak of,
except for occasional connection drops that typically last about 1 minute
and occur randomly, sometimes once and hour, sometimes once every few
days.

I look at it from a practical perspective ;-).

John