[ale] Inexpensive broadband recommendations

Grady Harris gharri2 at emory.edu
Tue Feb 18 12:00:42 EST 2003

 > From: cfowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>
 > It seems to me that this broadband issue merits having a FAQ on
 > http://www.ale.org.  We are in the group to help those and many people
 > order DSL/Cable before asking compatibility and installation questions.
 > Usually after BS is ordered, it is too late.

Oh, bloody H!

 > We need to be proactive in
 > informing the community of the broadband technologies especially when
 > Linux is a part of the home implementation.

Yes, please put that up on the TWiki. I dropped EarthLink & tried to sign
on w/ SpeakEasy a month or so ago, but it turned out that the verification,
which their salesman & I were going on, that my number was available to
their ADSL service, was not correct. That was maddening. By the time that
fact emerged, I had no connection.

Went through the ALE list archives, searching for threads about
Linux-competent ADSL providers for Atlanta. Got the impression that
HellSouth was workable, if I knew what I was doing. (That's a conditional
statement. Unfortunately, the condition tests to false.) Guess I'll check
how things stand again in a year.

Grady Harris