[ale] adding swap? was "that same darn NFS problem SOLVED"

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Feb 17 15:04:26 EST 2003

On Monday 17 February 2003 02:53 pm, ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> That is a great idea! My server gets crushed by a program that I call
> LINKER. LINKER makes multi-threaded connections to the Internet and
> collects data. Of course, while it is collecting the data, some of the
> web sites that it collects data have connection errors.
>
> I had two programmers look at the software, and it seems to bottleneck
> at the nic card. I can open another session and run as many as 2 more
> instances of the program - but usually the server gets sluggish (insofar
> as gettting results) at 2 instances.
>
> While that is going on, I can open 2 more instances on two more servers,
> and all of them seem to run at full speed - so it doesn't seem to be a
> data transfer problem.
>
> This is why I was adding 2 nics to the server. This is also why I think
> it may be a good idea to double my swap?
>
> How do I run a test to see whether more swap is needed?
>
> I have 512RAM, and 1019 swap(I think).

Well, if you notice that your swap is running low you might need more swap.
More likely you need to fix a memory leak in your program.  Would you
expect LINKER to use a gig of RAM?  That's an unusually large number.

The command "free", or the top command will show you your memory usage.  If
you are using lots of swap you either have lots of processes, or some few
processes consuming too much RAM.  Try sorting top's output by memory ('M'
is the command for that) and see what process is sucking RAM.

Michael