[ale] null.null.host oddity

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Feb 15 16:32:07 EST 2003

Geoffrey said:
> I think you misunderstood my post.  I don't see these on my Speedfactory
>  network.  I saw them on someone else's network when I was helping them
> set up a Linux box.

Sorry, hadn't read your post.  I was replying to Brian, I believe.

> Speedfactory has their own dns.  I wouldn't use an ISP that relied on
> Bellsouth DNS. :)

Ok.

>> Here's my resolv.conf settings...check yours and see:
>> nameserver 205.152.37.254
>> nameserver 205.152.0.5
>
> No, 66.20234.14 resolves to ns.speedfactory.net

Ok.

> Whatever their purpose, the one we saw must have been a windows box, or
> something running Samba, which I doubt, otherwise it would not have
> shown up in our efforts.

Regardless, it shows up with Linux commands as well...but from reading
your post I see you were trying some Samba stuff.

Anyway, I stand by my assertion that BS has their DNS setup to respond in
this manner to queries against the private address space.  Could be wrong,
but it makes sense to me.

John