[ale] KVM or alternative

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Feb 14 07:52:50 EST 2003

Joe wrote:
> Grady Harris <gharri2 at emory.edu> writes:
>

>>Hey, y'all,
>>
>>I'm getting a second machine at home, where the space is scant & the
>>wiring is not something I want to strain. I'd rather not get a second
>>monitor, so I figure a KVM switch is the likeliest alternative. I've
>>read through the discussions of KVM switches on the ALE list from last
>>year & the previous, which have been real helpful to me, since I've
>>never used a switch before.
>>
>>Since I suspect that such might be overkill just for two machines, I
>>was wondering if anybody had suggestions for any alternatives, since
>>none has occurred to me.
>

> Don't get a cheap one. I made that mistake and fried the power
> supply in one of my boxes. I don't know what the technospeak
> term is, but you need one that will provide the proper kbd and
> mouse electrical characteristics even when the switch is
> switched away from a particular machine.

Correct.   What the kvm does is make each machine see a mouse/keyboard
whether or not it's the selected one.  If it doesn't do this properly,
ps2 mice get lost.  In both X and windows when you return, the mouse
will be lost.  Serial mice are more forgiving, or should I say the
serial port is.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...