[ale] KVM or alternative

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Feb 13 12:05:12 EST 2003

On Thursday 13 February 2003 12:57 pm, Grady Harris wrote:
> Hey, y'all,
>
> I'm getting a second machine at home, where the space is scant & the
> wiring is not something I want to strain. I'd rather not get a second
> monitor, so I figure a KVM switch is the likeliest alternative. I've
> read through the discussions of KVM switches on the ALE list from last
> year & the previous, which have been real helpful to me, since I've
> never used a switch before.
>
> Since I suspect that such might be overkill just for two machines, I was
> wondering if anybody had suggestions for any alternatives, since none
> has occurred to me.

Not overkill at all--it's an essential tool.  Get a two port KVM switch.  I
use a linksys at home and it is great.  I user a 4 port Belkin at work and
it is good, too.

It's a lot cheaper than a second monitor, and a heck of a lot cheaper than
building a new room onto your house to hold all your computers.

--Michael