[ale] Java Classpath quesiton

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Thu Feb 13 10:44:30 EST 2003

First of all, look at ant: http://ant.apache.org/ .  There is a learning
curve, but once you learn to use it it makes building java projects and
jars a snap.  Even things like merging two or more jars into one is
easy.

Whenever you start a java application from a jar file using the -jar
command-line option, the jar file is the source of all user classes,
and other user class path settings are ignored.  This means the
$CLASSPATH env variable as well as any classpath specified on the
command line.  You can, however, add other jars to the classpath by
adding a Class-Path element to the manifest file:

Class-Path: lib1.jar lib2.jar

The disadvantage of this is that you must always start the java
application from the same directory, or it won't be able to find the
extra jar files.

HTH,
Jason