[ale] kismet

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Thu Feb 13 09:16:18 EST 2003

On 13 Feb 2003, cfowler wrote:

> The problem is that the air is getting so poluted by these radio waves.
> The minute they enter your home, should they still belong to their
> owners?  Of course this is debatable and I'm sure you guys will run with
> it.

I'm not sure it can be simplified that much. For instance, cell phones.
Researchers have apparently figured out that some type of wall panels
(some wierd exotic wood, treated with some witch's brew) block cell phone
signals. Does a restaraunt owner have the right to install them and
interfere with my personal communication? It would seem so, and most would
back them on it because lets face it, loud obnoxious cell phone users are
annoying. However, as technology has progressed, we've seen silent,
unobtrusive cellular communications (text,www,email,etc) come into vogue.
10 years from now, that restaraunt will be out of business. People will
equate blocking text messaging to posting guards at the door to keep your
friends from coming in to give you the message face to face. As one of the
few courteous smokers in the world, I can see where you're going with
this. I go out of my way to keep others from enjoying my cigarette with
me. The rights of the non-smoker trump the rights of the smoker. Can the
same theory be applied to wireless broadcast signals? I don't know, but I
suspect the horse is too far out of the barn to bother with shutting the
door.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security