[ale] Linux on an Apple iBook

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 12 23:50:23 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 16:27, Jason Vinson wrote:

> Titanium PowerBook G4 667MHz Combo (DVD/CD-RW) System Only
> 667MHz PowerPC G4, 512MB SDRAM, 30GB Ultra ATA Drive, Slot Load
> Combo(DVD/CD-RW), 56K Modem, 15.2 Mega Wide Screen, Gigabit EtherneT, 2 USB, 1 FireWire, Mac OS X (Airport Included)

It is very good that you bought the 15 inch. I almost bought the 12 inch
powerbook, because price was the same as the iBook I have ($$1800), and
I would be getting the following pros:

Slightly faster processor (67Mhz more + barely supported in userland
Altivec extensions (we're talking for use with Linux, my initial goal))

Sexier :P

Smaller

Bluetooth

But the cons were stronger, so I stuck with iBook. Follows:

Same HD size
Same wireless range
Same cheap LCD
Same lack of PCMCIA
Same NIC speed
250 Megs of Core, as opposed to 640 Megs on the iBook
And the worst of all, NVIDIA + PowerPC == No Linux 3d.

The 15 inch though, was better, but too much money for me. It has
PCMCIA, much better quality LCD type (same as apple cinema display !=
iBook/12inch powerbook LCD), PCMCIA, and an ATI card that I'll help you
to set up in Debian with 3d acceleration and all.

Very good buy, very nice Linux machine. Congratulations!

 -- Jordi