[ale] Bobness and Jonathanness (and some PHP)

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Feb 12 23:06:12 EST 2003

"Bobness Johnson is right."

What Bob is describing is right on the money.  If computer/network
security is what you want to do, then it's going to take surgeon-level
skill to really be effective.  You have to know at least as much as the
attackers or at least the kiddie scripts that are run.

I've dealt hands-on and elbow-deep with computer and network security
since 1988, but there are depths to which I have not gone and I know
when it's time to hand the issues over to people who really, really know
what they're doing.

What I see in industry is that IT decision-makers throw a huge "Hail
Mary" and, instead of handing security issues down to a progressively
smarter series of people (I'm oversimplifying in saying that, I know),
they hand it straight to, oh, Cisco, Microsoft, Linksys, CheckPoint,
McAfee, etc. so that their products become the "experts."

-Jeff