[ale] OT: scrollable tables...script or applet?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Feb 12 19:39:36 EST 2003

The project I'm working on has a requirement for scrollable regions.
Currently, it's a VB app using an excel-like scrollable grid.

I've been prototyping a JApplet that simply uses a JTable to replace this
control in the browser.  However, I was looking around tonight at some of
the CSS2 examples, and it appears you can do scrollable tables using css.

Anyone have any experience with how well this is supported in IE (I can
attest that it works in Mozilla)?  It's been a year and a half or so since
I did any css that wasn't required to work in NS4, so I'm not sure of the
advances in the newer browsers.

My dilemma is this:  it'd be a pain to require all the users of the app to
install a jre for the JTable, but in my experience using browser
capabilities is asking for bugs and incompatibilities.  Anyone have any
thoughts?

Thanks,
John