[ale] kismet

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Wed Feb 12 14:41:46 EST 2003

On 12 Feb 2003, cfowler wrote:

> >From an access stand point, what is the difference between a bridge and
> AP?

It's brand specific.

Complexity breeds insecurity. Much simpler to secure a point to point
wireless link, as all entities are "known" per se. Introduce "unknowns"
and you've got a problem finding a compromise between security and
convenience. I think that's the crux of the issue there, security vs.
convenience. Where do you draw the line? It's depends on the
circumstances. In my opinion, 802.11b is too convenient. As the
paper I posted earlier suggests, any schmuck can put together the needed
equipment to wreak havoc.

Cisco has done the best job of mitigating risks IMHO, but I'm still not
convinced.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/witc/ao350ap/prodlit/a350w_ov.htm

--
Jonathan Rickman