[ale] How much wattage in my server?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Feb 12 10:43:30 EST 2003

Same size as the dead one or bigger. With 16 drives and dual cpu's you
may need to be in the 450-600W range. Each of those CPU's is around
15-20W each. The drives are around 10-15W under load. (I wouldn't use
IDE for a server I wanted to keep up and running, but it's not my
server).

It's always better to oversize the power supply than toast it or
under-power the box.

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 10:17, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Ok, I've got a server with a dead power supply and am trying to figure
> out what size of supply I need to replace it...
>
> Configuration:
>   Tyan 2466 Motherb board
>   dual AMD Athalon 1.8GHz
>   2x 8port 3ware IDE cards
>   16x 120Gig Maxtor Hard drives (yes, 16 drives)
>   Dual Nic (100bT and 100bT)
>   ATI VGA card
>   3 Case Mount Fans...
>
> I've never had to calculate the wattage needed for a power supply
> before.  Is it just a count up the drives and hope there's specs on them
> and then try to add up the various components the same way?
>
> Robert
>

> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                     | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
> FYI:
>  perl -e 'print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part