[ale] kimset

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed Feb 12 08:24:28 EST 2003

Ok... You guys are absolutely correct.  Breaking WEP _is_ bad news, and
while I've not done it personally, I know that Kismet has the
capability.  My post was made with little fore-thought and I apologize
to the list for having made light of the issue.  For the record - I do
not condone, or recommend _breaking_ WEP on anyone's WAP.  Like I said,
I've never done it myself, however I know it can be done.

That was a stupid post (my previous post), and I don't know what I was
thinking when I wrote it.

My apologies,
CB

Jonathan Rickman wrote:

|On 11 Feb 2003, Joe wrote:
|
|>100% agreed.
|>
|>I find it rather astonishing that there seems to be a large community
|>of folks who find this kind of thing perfectly acceptable. Many of
|>those people are no doubt outraged when they find hackers poking at
|>their firewalls - and then they go out and break into someone else's
|>wireless network???
|

|A better technical analogy would be walking up to the side of someone's
|house with a handset and a set of alligator clips and tapping into their
|phone lines at the telco's CPE. Hey, they should have secured it with a
|padlock, right? Taking it to the level of cracking WEP would be analagous
|to picking the lock.
|
|I find it astonishing that Christopher sent a PGP signed (read:
|non-repudiation) message to a public mailing list discussing this activity
|and apparently, albeit vaguely, implicating himself. No offense intended
|(although some will no doubt be taken), but what were you thinking? Your
|wlan card + some entity's logs + that message (archived for all eternity)
|= kiss your rights goodbye, felon. Own firearms? Not anymore. Remember the
|2000 election controversy? Your vote will NOT be counted. All for what?
|The thrill of a broadband connection, if you're lucky? I'll pass.
|
|But JR, you're making a mountain out of a molehill!!! Talk to Kevin
|Mitnick about how long it took him to reach the summit of that molehill.
|
|If I sound passionate about this, it's because I am. This sort of behavior
|really pisses me off. Oh well, enough about it...I'm over it.

|--