[ale] BlueCurve cure?

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 09:10:48 EST 2003

Dow Hurst <dhurst at kennesaw.edu> writes:

> This is an interesting point for debate:
>
> Do you really need to upgrade?

Certainly not! To believe so is to remain a slave to the Micro$oft
mentality.

Reasons to upgrade a system:

-- According to JAK:

 * It's not doing what I want -- I *need* new functionality or
   bugfixes that aren't in the version I'm using.

-- According to MicroSoft:

 * We've fixed yet another gaping security hole.
 * If you upgrade, you'll get this cool new icon on your
   desktop that looks like a slug digesting a potato, and
   it will *really* increase your productivity, we promise!
 * You haven't upgraded this week. According to your license
   agreement, you have to pay us for a new upgrade every
   168 hours.
 * What? You didn't read the license agreement? Shame on
   you!
 * We have more lawyers than you. Hell, we have more lawyers
   than the federal government.
 * Oh yeah -- we've fixed yet *another* gaping security hole.
 * Bill needs lunch money.
 * We've decided to arbitrarily change the entire OS
   architecture. Trust us, you need this: you'll be more
   productive.
 * Did we mention that other gaping security hole?

Cheers,

-- Joe