[ale] .Xclients won't run

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Feb 10 14:12:04 EST 2003

I've got a really weird one.  When I run startx on my RedHat 8.0 system the
file /etc/X11/xinitrc runs, which then checks for the existence of
$HOME/.Xclients.  Finding it, it execs it.  At least, that is the theory.

By putting in some echos redirected to a file, I can say that this is what
happens:
1. When I run startx the X server starts and then /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
starts running.
2. xinitrc detects that I have the file $HOME/.Xclients
3. xinitrc execs $HOME/.Xclients
4. .Xclients never executes.

If I put 'echo "hello" > /tmp/hello' as the first executable line of
.Xclients, the line never executes.  I can run .Xclients by hand and it
executes fine.

WFT?

I should say that the major change I've made recently is to compile KDE 3.1
by hand and install it in /usr/local/kde.  I've changed the path and
ld.co.conf to point to this new code.

Anyone know what is going on?

Michael