[ale] Algorithm for performance gains with SMP servers??

Stephen Leonard stephen at phynp6.phy-astr.gsu.edu
Thu Feb 6 14:29:31 EST 2003

sangell at nan.net writes:

> I know I have seen an algorithm for estimating baseline performance gains
> in SMP based systems. The one I have seen in the past showed the level of
> performance per CPU as additional CPUs were added, as in x% gain for 2
> CPUs, x% for 4 CPU, x% for 8 etc.
>
> Anyone know where I can find a similair article or simply know off teh top
> of your head what these gains would be? I only need an estimated
> performance gain as number of processors is doubled.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but...
I guess the traditional algorithm is Amadahl's Law.  I don't
remember the equation, but google will probably tell you.  You'll
never see anything greater than linear speedup.  It's hard
to guess performance gains without any knowledge of the
algorithm the application uses or the type of interconnection
network it runs on.

stephen