[ale] Ranaming partitions and mount points

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 6 11:48:16 EST 2003

db 2000 wrote:
> I am trying to install a hard drive from a dysfunctional Linux server
> into a functional one to get the data from the drive. However, the
> mount points are the same on both drives and that obviously won't
> work.
>
> I am thinking that I should rename the partitions and/or the mount
> points on the drive in question, but I don't know how. Does anyone
> know what I should do?

The devices identifying the drive will be dependent on where how it's
connected to your machine, so it's impossible for this to cause you a
problem.  You will need to use different mount points, but it's as
simple as:

mkdir /old_usr
mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 /old_usr

Assuming that it's an ide drive and it's ext2 and it's the first
partition and it's the slave drive on the first ide.

So, remember if the drive was the master on the ide in the old box, it
would have been /dev/hda, but if you put it the new box on a different
ide location, it will have a different device, which is highly likely.
Further, the new box doesn't know anything about the partition names
that were used on the other box, unless you attempt to boot from this
drive and it's then going to look at /etc/fstab.

Bottom line is you can mount any partition anywhere you want simply by
explicitly telling mount how to mount the thing.

> The drive in question is functional hardware-wise, just something
> about the os seems to be corrupt and won't boot. It may have been
> hacked.... anyway, all we need is the data from it. We already have
> another server ready to go.

Mount it read only.

Really?

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net