[ale] Samba problem

Jim Lynch jwl at sgi.com
Thu Feb 6 08:12:24 EST 2003

I'm running samba on a Linux box that I'm using as a file server on my
home network.  I write a little script for my wife's Win98 box that does
a "NET USE ..." to mount  ah, er, map a samba share and it worked great
when I tested it, but fails in "production".  Seems that the NET USE
comes up and asks for a password, but I've got guest=ok in the smb.conf
file and when I do a manual mapping (right click on network
neighborhood, map network drive, etc) it doesn't ask for a password.
Another funny thing.  Once I do the manual mount, then the net use works
fine.  I don't even have to map to the same drive and I can disconnect
the share (I've got those MS buzzwords down now!) before I run the
script and it works.

Does anyone know what's going on or how I can fix it?  I have no idea
what password to use, besides, it is supposed to be automatic.

Thanks,
"Confused at home",
Jim.