[ale] /tmp directory full!!

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Feb 5 12:13:42 EST 2003

mark said:
> What kicks up red flags for me, /tmp is world readable and writable.

It should be.

> It should have the sticky bit set by default under Redhat??!  I'm running
> Bastille, runs a script which handles the /tmp subdirectory.

It isn't on RH 8.  I guess it would make since to have it set, but there's
probably a reason why it isn't.

> Though, I
> haven't looked at the Bastille code to understand what it's doing to the
> /tmp files.  The volume of tmp files is concerning even though I missed
> a daily tmpwatch!

afaik, rebooting shouldn't cause a problem with anacron.  Perhaps if you
rebooted in the midst of the tmpwatch run...not sure there.  But, if you
didn't, anacron should still fire up tmpwatch.

I'm wondering if you don't have a problem in the cron job that is causing
it not to start.  Try emulating the command sequence found in
/etc/cron.daily/tmpwatch and see if you run across any problems.

John