[ale] Bobness and Jonathanness (and some PHP)

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 5 10:45:55 EST 2003

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Actually, Geoffrey taught me something at an ALE meeting that applies
> to this:
>
> Always take the extra bit of time to test out info you get from
> others.  Make sure you really know what you know.  Don't assume that
> what you know is "right".  (Thanks Geoff!)

Wow, you're welcome. :)  It actually took me a while to figure this one
out.  I've always been amazed by how many highly intelligent people fall
for the various internet spam things.  (forward this to 10 people and
you'll get $100 from Bill Gates).  I then stumbled across the fact that
we all, at times, just accept things we hear as fact.  From that point
on, I do my best to validate things I hear, before comitting it to a
learning experience.  It's not always possible, but it's helpful.

> Also, I've noticed that quality sources of information digested by
> some means to discard the chaff and keep the kernels of truth are
> invaluable.  Sorting that info is also important so it is able to be
> referenced.
>
> Teach some Linux or Unix security to others.  There is nothing better
> than teaching a topic to have the info sink in and get organized in
> your head!  So, you should volunteer an ALE or ALE-NW security talk
> soon! ;-) Dow

Absolutely.  It's interesting because many folks are still afraid they
don't know everything.  I worked with a couple of guys years ago who
taught me the value of knowledge.  One guy, always nodded his head in
acknowledgement.  You know the type, on the outside, seems like they
know everything.  The other was a very sharp individual, BS in Physics
and EE.  But, he was never afraid to admit he didn't have the answer.
He thrived on learning, from anyone.  He taught me that you learn things
by asking questions, not by nodding in agreement.

Also, I've always said, everyone's got something to teach, and
everyone's got something they can learn.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...