[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Feb 5 00:49:31 EST 2003

In one of my books on the subject, I recall reading that unlike Gemini
and Mercury, Apollo had a higher range of re-entry speeds to deal with
(~25KMPH vs. 18KMPH) and that as such, the same re-entry strategy would
not have been workable.  The Apollo CM, with its blunted bottom edges
and off-axis center of mass, *was* after a fashion "flown" in; it did
generate lift, albeit slight.  Its glide ratio makes the Shuttle look
like Rutan's Voyager.  And one of the concerns, which came to the fore
in Apollo 13, is having this "lift" scoop it right back out into space.
The Orbiter can't do that; it's not going fast enough, but it seems like
it could be made to "skip" *just so*, giving it cycles of heating and
cooling.  This could be hell on the airframe, I know, but I'm talking
abou an emergency maneuver here.

When they say  "NASA has already shaved as much
> temperature exposure off of the re-entry sequence as is possible," I bet
they *mean* "...and make a wheel landing on the strip of our choosing.  An
emergency situation in which the Orbiter is expendable but the crew is
not changes the ball game.