[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Rick Huebner rick at rhuebner.com
Wed Feb 5 00:32:21 EST 2003

I heard an interview where this question of a less invasive reentry was
asked.  Basically, the response was that NASA has already shaved as much
temperature exposure off of the re-entry sequence as is possible.  That is
key to reducing the stress on the airframe and protective systems acording
to the news briefing.  Basically, if there was a way to reduce the
temperature by any other method, they would do it rather than expose the
shuttle to higher temps.  Of course, there are always things that weren't
thought of so maybe there is an idea out there that was never thought of in
their quest for lower temp re-entries???

---
Rick Huebner
rick at rhuebner.com
http://ditchdoctor.dyndns.org:15001