[ale] OT: Space Shuttle Columbia

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Tue Feb 4 19:53:39 EST 2003

On 4 Feb 2003, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> > This is a key statement.  They can't just perform a spacewalk under the
> > shuttle.  They couldn't check the titles, and as such everything turned
> > in to a [tragic] afterthought.
>
> I have yet to see an explanation as to why not.

The bottom is smooth. Nowhere to hold on/attach to. Adding attachment
points would result in an unacceptable amount of friction at that point
and would likely result in the same thing we saw Saturday. Besides, even
if they knew, what options did they really have? Can't fix it.  Can't
re-enter any other way. Can't dock at the ISS. Can't just fire up Atlantis
and send them a ride. They took their chances and lost. That's life on the
edge. The same thing happens in military aviation, just on a much smaller
scale. You put your fate in the hands of the Almighty and do your job as
ordered.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security