[ale] Gentoo.....where did vi go.....

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 11:04:01 EST 2003

msmith at mikeandmel.com writes:

> I was installing Gentoo this weekend and I got to the
> point where I edit the /etc/fstab file and wham......
> vi is no longer on my path.  I looked in the usual RH
> places /bin , /sbin , /usr/bin , /usr/sbin ,
> /usr/local/bin /opt/bin , and /usr/local/sbin.  Where
> the heck is vi on Gentoo?

By default, it's nowhere; use "nano", which is utterly trivial to
use. "nano /etc/fstab" should work. "^O" to save the file, IIRC.  And
then "emerge vi[m|le]". Note that emerging "vim" will also suck down
ALL OF XFree86, because of vim's X extensions.  "emerge vile" to get a
nice, small, CLI vi.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka