[ale] OT: VB analysis tools

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 10:54:20 EST 2003

"John Wells" <jb at sourceillustrated.com> writes:

> I'm rewriting the #$*!^ damned VB app and walking through 50k lines of
> murk and gloom.
>
> I know it's a long shot, but anyone know of any open source tools that
> might make my life easier?  Analyzers, insight tools, etc?

This would be a cool project: automatic translation of VB to, say,
Python. Syntactically it would be pretty simple, I think. The hard
(fun) part would be reproducing the functionality of the visual pieces
and the underlying M$ services. But even there, an interim solution
would be to wire up the Python code to existing Winblows APIs using
Python's win32/COM libs; development of portable replacements for the
high-level Win services would provide interesting ongoing work.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka