[ale] OT: So what about Java?

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 3 09:58:44 EST 2003

Andrew Newton <anewton at ecotroph.net> writes:

> > The libraries
> > are OK, though it took until, what, version 1.3 of the API, and eight
> > years, for them to figure out that, yeah, some standard means of doing
> > REGEXP MATCHING might be nice. Sheesh. The good news is, Java 1.5 is
> > getting generics (ala C++ templates) FINALLY, which will make a huge
> > amount of stupid code go away.
>
> OROMatcher has been available for Java since atleast the 1.1 days.

As part of the out-of-the-box standard Java library?

> > About J2EE et al, I can't say much. I've wet my feet with it using
> > JONAS, an open-source EJB server. It's mildly interesting, but doesn't
> > seem fundamentally different from, say, CORBA. But then, there's that
> > friggin' "J"...
>
> While I personally think EJB is used far more often than necessary, it
> is not an RPC-like mechanism such as CORBA.  That's RMI.

CORBA is quite a bit more than just an RPC mechanism. In any case, my
point isn't to draw a strict parallel between CORBA and EJB, but
rather to express that EJB doesn't seem to do anything fundamentally
new that you couldn't do with other technologies.

> > I think C is about the most portable language I've ever used.

Please watch your attributions; I didn't write that, though I
*did* write all the other material you quote at that indent level.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka