[ale] Production Servers

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Mon Feb 3 08:42:08 EST 2003

I've got a mix of SCSI and IDE in my datacenter.  Probably 35+ machines
with RAID5 or 0+1 on scsi and 6 on IDE.  With the scsi my largest volume
is about 215Gigs or so (6 36gig drives in a raid 5).  On the IDE my
largest is 1.9TB (16 160Gig drives).  God, I'd happily trade all my IDE
raids for SCSI even If I lost a lot of disk space.  I spend a good 90%
of my disk related trouble working IDE related disk failures.  They
can't take the load we put on them before they blow chunks.  Lost
another one this morning even.

Oh and no matter what they tell you, IDE hotswap is not a sure thing
even if the card's manufacture says they have a CLI to "halt the drive"
and then you can yank it hot.  2 out of 3 times I tried it the bus
locked up and the machine had to be powered off.

Robert

Thus spake Mike Lockhart (backpacker at hikers.net):