[ale] Alas! At long last I've been hacked.

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun Feb 2 16:27:50 EST 2003

matty91 at bellsouth.net wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Byron A Jeff wrote:
>

>>>What distro and which services were you running on the gateway?
>>
>>Slack 7.0 IIRC. No security updates whatsoever.
>

> May I suggest Redhat, and an up2date script running daily? I setup my
> mom's firewall like this. I also removed the majority of the software (not
> just disabled the service) from the box. If the kernel is not rootable,
> and there is no software on the box, it makes attacking it more difficult.

For a firewall, I find it much easier to install a small footprint of
Slack, then to install the smallest possible foot print of Red Hat and
then remove all the bloody crap you told it not to install.  Slackware,
by far gives you the most control in building a system with the closet
you'll get to what you want in a firewall.  I can't tell you the number
of times I've installed Red Hat, telling it to NOT install X and find it
installed anyway.

Further, there's something to be said for having your firewall NOT
running the leading Linux vendor distribution.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...