[ale] Alas! At long last I've been hacked.

Jim Popovitch jpopovitch at att.net
Sun Feb 2 12:09:32 EST 2003

Unless you are wanting to be hacked... you need a better attitude about
security.  Sorry to be blunt, but honesty is better than passive apathy in
situations like this.

> I was using tcpd to limit access to a couple of spots (Tech,
> my father's machine). Too many open services (telnet, ftp,
> finger, ident, sendmail, apache with port 80 closed by ATT/Comcast)

It your box was hacked, tcpd would no longer have a role in determining
whether or not someone could get to your father's machine.  Does your father
know that you have put his data at risk?

> As I said before I do believe that the tradeoff between controls
> and risks where OK for the time period that the machine was sitting
> on the open Internet and the total lack of maintenance rendered.

If you buy a car and never check and change the oil what would people think
of you?  I know think that of you.  Again, sorry for the bluntness.

-Jim P.