[ale] Bad business

matty91 at bellsouth.net matty91 at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 1 19:23:56 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Geoffrey wrote:

> James P. Kinney III wrote:
> > I saw it on Slashdot. It's not good news if one reads for the trend.
> >
> > http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/03_05/b3818001.htm
>
> Check out some of the quotes:
>
> "Ex-BofA managers and contractors say one-third of those jobs are headed
> to India, where work that costs $100 an hour in the U.S. gets done for $20."
>

> "Not far away, 26-year-old engineer Dharin Shah talks excitedly about
> his $10,000-a-year job designing third-generation mobile-phone chips, as
> sun pours through a skylight at the Texas Instrument Inc."
>
> Let's see, I believe that would be below poverty level in the states.
>
> Let's face it folks, whether you think the h1b thing is a problem or
> not, if all the work is done overseas, or for half the rate here in the
> states, there's going to be a lot of folks out of work.  If all those
> folks are out of work, companies like Bunc of America will lose as their
> share of their market will shrink as well.

Multinational corporations don't care about workers, their only
intention is to return increasing profits to wall street. :( America
is becoming more and more service based, and less and less manufacturing
based. The state of NY set a precedent a few months back. They cancelled
third party contracts where the IT operations were sourced overseas. I
am hoping uncle Sam steps up to the plate and keeps the government
IT positions within our borders.

One thing that has always confused me is why corporations choose India
as opposed to China/South Korea/etc. Written and verbal communication
may be one reason, but several other coountries also allow MNCs to abuse
labor overseas. With the previous conflicts between Pakistan and India,
I would think other labor markets would seem a bit more stable. I hope and
pray ppl start to wise up and invest in america. I love our country!

- Ryan