[ale] Sun Java Desktop

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Wed Dec 31 13:20:38 EST 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 hbbs at comcast.net wrote:

> Has anyone gotten any firsthand experience with this Java Desktop from
> Sun?  I'd be interested in your impressions of what it's for, what good it
> is, and where it fits into the grand scheme of things.

I've installed it and played with it a bit. It's essentially just a desktop
SuSE. They've tweaked the look a bit to be more like XP, slimmed it down a
bit (picked one hopefully best app, rather than shipping six web browsers,
four email clients, etc.), added Star Office instead of Open Office, bundled
some better fonts, and that's about it.

later,
chris