[ale] OT: needed - small lightweight Windows db

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Wed Dec 31 09:50:21 EST 2003

I have a project to build an interface to a database, needs to run on
Windows and I would prefer it if Perl could talk to it, because unless
something changes I expect to build the front-end with PerlTK.

I don't need anything fancy, would prefer a very lightweight but stable
(and pref open source!) db like the pre-transactions MySQL...something
that I can do multiple tables, joins, insert, update, delete, and select,
and really that's about it.  I expect to have over 10,000 rows of data so
I would prefer to not go the fixed-length file route, and the max memory
I've got to play with is 256Mb, mostly less than that.

All of my experience has been with either big pay products (Oracle,
Informix) or MySQL.  Access is right out, as is M$'s behemoth db.  I have
considered MySQL but in my experience it requires some care and feeding,
and my client is 2 hours away and has no tech people of their own, so I'm
really hesitant.

Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
jenn