[ale] OT: Re: posting to Linux mail list

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Tue Dec 30 22:05:24 EST 2003

> Perl can easily do pretty much all you've defined VB can do, and more. I
> can write to an Access db and create excel spreadsheets with Perl.  What
> other db engines (I know that's a stretch, calling Access a db) can VB
> write to?  Perl can write to: Oracle, Informix, Postgresql, Mysql,
> Access, and ODBC compliant DB.

*psst*
Don't forget using SQL to update text files, CSV's & XLS, and I may have
seen one the other day for DOC (not sure WHAT that one would do, though ;)

And talk about convenient, being able to rack up an XLS that someone else
gave me, and run it through a perl script that tosses it into a mysql
system.  I got all giddy when I found that ! ;)

> Who the hell really cares if you can VB with Word?  Who really does
> that?  Most  businesses use Word for just what it is, a word processor.

Actually, a lot of them really do put VBS (VBS that is, not VB, which
AFAIR does not actually work in the apps, being what VBS was entirely
designed to do) into a bunch of DOC or XLS files.  They'll put the same
equation-y macro things into a bunch of files, too :o

--attriel