[ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Tue Dec 30 20:36:10 EST 2003

I was in my late 20's and running in a 15K (9.3 miles) race and right near
the end of my race I overtook some guys doing the 30K (18.6 miles) race
(they were at their halfway point) and they were in their 50'+s.  It was an
ATC (Atl Track Club) race and I won my age group.  I also ran in HS and
college.  To call it a humbling is a gross understatement.

Having a long history of working in a certain sport at a real high level
coupled with good genetics beats first-timers every time.  Also, if you have
been reading Bicycling Magazine and such you should know that cycling
(unless you are a Tour cyclist) has a lot of somewhat chunky members - but
they will drop others like a bad habit, and running ability/fitness/etc does
not equal cycling ability.

But it is commendable that you are dong 15 miles on a mtn bike daily.  I am
envious indeed.

And yes, I have been dropped by mtn bikers that were kinda heavy also (but
not as humbling as the 15/30 K race).

Greg