[ale] FYI.. From EFGA: Novell Enters SCO Copyright Dispute

Robert Reese ale at sixit.com
Tue Dec 30 13:41:58 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I know everyone here has a vested interest in the Scumbags' Coersive
Organization battle.  Here's another shot across the bow.  It looks
like vendors are starting to fight back. :c)

Below is a message (in its entirety) that came from the EFGA mail
list.

By the way, any thoughts on declaring April 1st as a SUE SCO day?
I'm wondering how SCO would react to thousands or millions of small
claims cases filed against it?

Cheers,
Robert Reese~

[EFGA] Novell Enters SCO Copyright Dispute

Last week Novell issued a statement that Novell, not SCO, holds the
copyrights on portions of Linux.  Copies of correspondence (link
below)
indicates that this has been a known issue been an issue between the
two
companies since June 2003.

Unix, originally created by Bell Labs, or AT&T, was bought by Novell
and
later sold to SCO.  The Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) has been selling
UNIX
for microcomputers since the late 70's.

Novell Statement on UNIX Copyright Registrations
http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/12/pr03080.html

Novell Correspondence and SCO Reply
http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/12/sco.pdf

NOVELL BATTLES SCO OVER CODE COPYRIGHTS
"Novell believes it owns the copyrights in Unix and we've filed 12
copyright applications in recent months and were granted copyright
registrations on Sept. 22 and Oct. 14,"
http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=art
icle&sid=9839

SCO GROUP BATTLES NOVELL OVER UNIX COPYRIGHT
"If Novell is claiming we paid them $100 million, and we didn't get
the
copyrights, I'm not sure what we got,"
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/7574560.htm
[note:  I bought UNIX from SCO in about 1980.  I know I didn't get
the
copyrights, and I am not at all confused about what I got -- Robert
Costner]

SCO OPENS NEW FRONT IN LINUX WAR.
SCO Group targets a new group in an effort to profit from what it
says is
illegal use of Unix intellectual property in Linux, but Novell claims
it
still holds copyrights.
http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5132215.html?tag=nefd_top

*
To join or be removed from this list, send a message to
majordomo at efga.org with
the message body of SUBSCRIBE action or UNSUBSCRIBE action