[ale] OT: Anybody sick today?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Dec 30 12:40:44 EST 2003

OK, I'll "weigh in" with my opinions!  Har har har.

I've been on Sugar Busters! ( www.SugarBusters.com ) since the beginning
of the month, and I've lost six pounds.  I might have lost more, except
I haven't had much time for exercising until this past Sunday.

Sugar Busters! is somewhat different in that it uses glycemic index (GI)
measurements as the litmus test for what to eat and what to avoid.  GI
simply gauges the body's insulin response to the digestive processing of
a particular food or drink substance.  As the name implies, the
"standard" is glucose, which is assigned a GI of 100.  All other foods
are assigned a GI relative to this number.  Unfortunately, regular beer
is the one substance that produces a higher GI.  I don't know what the GI
is for the newer low-carb brews.

While some of the usual suspects such as the majority of sugars,
potatoes, highly-processed grain products such as enriched flour and
white rice are forbidden, some others, such as sweet potatoes and certain
fruits, are allowable in moderate quantities.  Even certain whole-grain
breads and pastas are kosher since their GIs are in the low-to-moderate
ranges.

Two other differentiating factors:

1.  Unlike Atkins and South Beach, there is no "induction period".  So if
you find yourself slightly breaking the diet (like when I had two pieces
of fried chicken a few days ago), it's not a dealbreaker.

2.  Unlike Atkins, there is a concern about just how much of the high-
cholesterol products are consumed.

Hope this helps someone out there.