[ale] OT: the Penny Black anti-spam proposal

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Sat Dec 27 15:49:24 EST 2003

I don't know if there will ever be a good solution.  I think we've seen that any kind of any-to-any mass communication gets spammed - mail, telephone, e-mail.  Some kind of send-time charge seems to be the only way, but who wants the admin overhead involved, and unless you made it grossly non-linear, i.e., negligible costs that go up roughly exponentially as a function of number of messages sent per unit time, then the spammers would just pay it and go.

In any case, I feel like the Internet as an any-to-any medium can't go on forever.

- Jeff