[ale] OT: the Penny Black anti-spam proposal

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Dec 26 17:02:07 EST 2003

Jim Philips wrote:

> Microsoft is proposing a technical approach to slow down spam. There
> would be a processing hit on the sender side that could hinder
> spammers. But for the approach to work, it would have to be an open
> standard (otherwise Linux users could spam at will). See more at:

> I'm curious to know what others think of this approach...based on its
> merits, not its source.

I think it's completely stupid.  It's a bandaid.  Burn the spammers at
the stake is the correct solution.  Reverse email verification or forced
authentication.

I know you didn't want to address the issue of where the idea came from,
but it seems so much like Microsoft to come up with a solution that is
going to waste more cpu...

I'd rather see a $$ cost associated with this problem.  I don't know
what the actual parameters would be, but for example, charge $1 for
every 1000 emails.  I'd be please to pay an extra $1 a month.  If you're
sending out 1,000,000 messages every week, you're going to feel the pain.

Until later, Geoffrey	esoteric at 3times25.net