[ale] Building linux entertainment devices

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Tue Dec 23 17:07:53 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-23 at 16:40, zack wrote:
> I am interested in examining the possiblity of building a Linux-based
> networked entertainment device.  My main goals are not a one off, use
> spare parts type of project, but more of looking into the possibility of
> building a prototype for mass produced device.  The software would be a
> slimmed down or RTOS Linux kernel, plus open source software.
>  Capabilities would include networking, video and /or sound output.  IDE
> devices for HDD and CD/DVD would probably be required, as well as
> (likely) PC-Card support.  CPU-wise I am thinking a low-end Intel/AMD or
> higher end alternative CPU like you might see in some embedded devices.
>  So yeah, it's pretty much a PC, but non Intel/AMD would be considered
> if they can handle the video.
>
> I need to get an idea of the types of hardware platforms suitable for
> this type of device, and the software development I would need to do, to
> get some idea of how much it would cost to do, as well as how much
> develoment work would need to be done (I assume certain systems could
> just have minimal kernel  and OSS code compiled, while others might need
> porting or tweaking or something).
>
> If anyone has any experience or insight into this sort of a project and
> would care to share, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zack

If you want to make a video capture/replay type of box (ie. Tivo), you
might want to look thru the XFS archives.

Someone was posting there a lot about a year ago related to something
along these lines.  I don't know if they eventually succeeded or if the
company/project died.

I also have no idea how the GPL plays into something like this.  ie. If
you buy one of that companies boxes, can you make a GPL request for
their kernel and modules?  Other GPL software they may have used?

If so, maybe you can make the same request(s) to Tivo, since I
understand they are running linux internally.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer